[K12OSN] New to K12LTSP - basic help please

Almquist Burke balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Thu Dec 27 20:08:38 UTC 2007

> -- K12LTSP 6.0.0 - Using the Gnome desktop --
>
> * Workstation Login Screen
> I figured out how to add the school's logo to the main login
> screen. Now, is there a way to remove the menu items in the upper
> left screen.
> I want to remove, Session, Language, and Theme - leaving only
> Disconnect.
I know that there is a file to edit to do this, but I don't remember
off the top of my head, I'm sure it's in the archives somewhere. I
know this has been discussed before.

> * Workstation Desktop
> Now once logged in. I have three icons (Computer, Home folder and
> Trash) - but I also have full menus at the top of the page.
> Is there a way to limit access? The students do not "Places" or
> "System" menus - and in "Applications" they don't need "system tools".

	Items that require root (administrative) permission may show up in
the menu, but that doesn't mean the students can make changes to the
system. It's going to ask for an administrative password if they try
to make changes to the system; so even though they might have that
menu, they don't have root access. I'm sure there is some way to
change the menu so that students don't even have those menu items,
but I've never worried about it, since they can't do any damage.