Re: [K12OSN] Re: Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

On 1/31/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 1/31/07, Petre Scheie <petre maltzen net> wrote:
> Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
> > Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> >> If your still set on one server also have a look at this
> >> http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Technical:Subnetting
> >> Instead of port trunking I think this would be a better idea.
> >> Especially if you are going to have 2 48 port switches that could be
> >> on different gigabit linked subnets.
> >
> > Hmm...I hadn't thought of that particular application myself--addressing
> > bandwidth bottlenecks--but you're right, that sure would do it!  That
> > never even occurred to me...thanks!
> >
> > --TP
> I recall reading somewhere that three gigabit cards is probably the max that the PCI bus
> can handle.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

No. A gigabit card is 1 Gibabit/s (that's 1 billion bits per second).
Each byte is 8 bits. So  it maxs out at 125MB/s. A simple PCI bus can
handle 133MB/s max. So 1 gigabit ethernet card can saturate a PCI bus

Correction:
PCI 2.2 spec is 32 bits at 66Mhz which equals 266MB/s.  So 2 gigabit
nics should be able to saturate it. The original PCI bus was 32bits at
33Mhz which is 133MB/s.

--
Robert Arkiletian