Re: [K12OSN] Re: Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

On 1/31/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
> > If your still set on one server also have a look at this
> > http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Technical:Subnetting
> > Instead of port trunking I think this would be a better idea.
> > Especially if you are going to have 2 48 port switches that could be
> > on different gigabit linked subnets.
>
> Hmm...I hadn't thought of that particular application myself--addressing
> bandwidth bottlenecks--but you're right, that sure would do it!  That
> never even occurred to me...thanks!

I actually have not done this yet but it seems to be a better method
than trunking ports. Wondering if anyone (who has done this) would
share their dhcpd.conf file on the list or the wiki as the
instructions on the wiki for subnetting are hard to follow exactly
without an example.

Never mind. I saw the thread Michael Blinn started on Jan 10. (Two Subnets)

Funny Terrell that you were the one who posted the initial solution
and now you have discovered another use for your own idea. This is a
cool list.

Wondering as servers get bigger and more powerful if this setup should
be included in k12ltsp future releases as a pre-configured script so
people can just pop in another nic and run the script. Instant subnets
on different switches therebye doubling bandwidth to clients.

--
Robert Arkiletian