Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:40:29 -0800

From: "john " <lists john gmail com>

Subject: multi-server/single source authenticaton was Re: [K12OSN]

      Networking  a new school for K12LTSP?

To: "Support list for open source software in schools."

      <k12osn redhat com>

      <2be970b50701301440t630ed022w945070e20f3ce10d mail gmail com>

This has been an interesting thread. It makes me want to raise my own

question.

Is it possible to do multi-server/single source authenticaton using Active

Directory rather than LDAP? Right now, we're not able to drop active

directory for students, but will probably need to add servers as our LTSP

experiment moves forward. The sticking point has been the way winbind/samba

creates and maps unix passwords to windows passwords. Essentially each

installation of Linux that uses Active Directory for authenticaton ends up

with their own local user/pass db that makes centralized NFS homes

semi-impossible. Has anyone figured out how to scale Linux and AD?

John