Re: [K12OSN] Re: Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Pretty much all of the fiber ones, which is about all I use, are that way.  One good one that I've found works well with Linux is Amer.com's C1000SX.  It is available here:

http://www.amer.com/catalogue/ac1000sx.html

Another one is the Intel Pro/1000SX card, which is 64bit/66MHz.  These have been around for a long time, and I have used them in many a GNU/Linux box.  Just do a search on www.pricewatch.com, using the terms "intel gigabit fiber", and I find them reasonably priced.

As for copper cards, those typically are integrated into the motherboard nowadays, even on client box models.  That's a question that the motherboard manufacturer should answer--on which bus, and at what bit/speed rate, is their integrated 10/100/1000 network interface(s)?  Tyan and MSI both are known to put the copper Gig-E interface either on the PCI-32 bus (lower-end mobos) or, in Tyan's case, also on the PCI-X bux (higher end, co$t$ more).  If it's the latter, you're in good shape.  If it's the former, but you're running your other Gig-E cards on the PCI-X bus, then other than IDE hard disk contention (also on the PCI-32 bus, but not usually constant), you probably will be fine.  Of course, I'd be looking at SATA or SCSI hardware raid on PCI-X if the budget allows for it.

--TP
Do you GNU!?

Petre Scheie wrote:

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote: