[K12OSN] Strategies for Dual-booting thin clients

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Feb 6 05:08:02 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I'd love to be able to run MythFrontEnd on my thin clients.  I set up
MythTV a week or so ago and I'm loving it, but I'd love to leverege it
to the point where I could watch it from any terminal.  I've tried just
installing MythTV on my K12LTSP server, but it doesn't seem to work.
Googling shows that people have a hard time setting this up and suffer
poor performance if they succeed.

So, I stumbled on this distro "MiniMyth" (
http://linpvr.org/minimyth/document-boot.shtml ).  It has an option for
network booting or local booting.  I'm wondering how I'd set that up
alongside K12LTSP.  I'm imagining some sort of boot menu at startup, or
after the DHCP handshake with the K12LTSP server where I get to pick
which OS gets handed to the thin client.  Is this possible?  Can someone
point me to a tutorial/howto/clue as to how to set this up?  I've set up
several K12LTSP servers, LAMP servers, MythTV, but I'm still kindof just
a user of Linux.  I don't always "get" what's going on, so some step by
step instructions would be great.

 The other thing I was wondering is if the above isn't possible, can I
get some sort of small, silent solid state "hard drive" that I'd put in
my thin clients.  Then I could boot some sort of boot loader on that
that would let me boot local (minimyth) or network K12LTSP.  If this
strikes people as the best option where could I get those "hard drives"
and how do I figure out how to create that boot menu?

Obviously, I'm open to any options.

Thank you for your time.

ck