From: k12osn-bounces redhat com [mailto:k12osn-bounces redhat com] On
Behalf Of David Whitmer
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:07 AM
To: Support list for open source software in schools.
Subject: [K12OSN] slow SSH login problem

A minor problem recently appeared on one of our school's K12LTSP
servers.

Beginning about two weeks ago, logging into this server remotely via
SSH began to take about 2 minutes (this used to take only a few
seconds).  Once logged in, everything works okay over the SSH
connection.  In fact, I'm not having any other problems with this
server.

This server is running K12LTSP 6.0 (the version based on FC6).  Our
school has some other K12LTSP servers, all running v5 (FC5), and none
of those are experiencing this particular SSH login problem.

I normally manually run yum update once a week on our servers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can check?  Or ideas on
what the problem might be?  (I'll have time to try some things this
evening.)

Thanks!

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology