Rép. : [K12OSN] Re: HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000? (Peter Hawxhurst)

Guy-Michel Lessard GLessard at cegepoutaouais.qc.ca
Wed Feb 7 18:49:00 UTC 2007

If the info. below doesn't work, i got the Wireless Broadcom nic on a dv-2020 to work using ndiswrapper. It was under Suse 10.1.

Guy Lessard
Professeur CÉGEP de l'Outaouais
Gatineau, Québec
Canada

>>> Matt Oquist <moquist at majen.net> 2007-02-07 12:12:01 >>>

> From: "Peter Hawxhurst" <phawxhurst at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000?
> i have installed both the i386 and amd64 versions of edu on my hp pavilion
> dv2000 but it fails to identify the broadcom wireless card??
> any ideas? thanks. peace

Yes. The broadcom driver isn't included on the installation disk. You
can copy it in from any other Ubuntu system and load it during
install, or you should have it once you reboot.

If you don't have it even after you reboot, I would recommend copying
it in, insmodding it, and then installing linux-image-generic right
away, which is what you should do anyway...details below.

NOTE TO EVERY EDUBUNTU ADMIN: Immediately after you install Edubuntu
and reboot, install the 'linux-image-generic' package, make sure it
will boot by default (edit /boot/grub/menu.lst), and then reboot
again.  linux-image-generic will give you SMP support. You will not
have SMP support until you install another kernel than the default,
and linux-image-generic is the recommended kernel.

Details: copy /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/kernel/drivers/net/bnx2.ko
off of another Ubuntu system (install linux-image-2.6.17-10-386 if
necessary to get it) onto a thumb drive, then stick that thumb drive
into your Edubuntu server. If you're currently installing, ALT+F1
(maybe ALT+F2) will give you a terminal, where you can do something
like this:

$ cat /proc/partitions
  "Hmm... /dev/sdb looks like my USB stick. I'll use that."
  ...this could be /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc.
$ mkdir /mnt/tmp
$ mount /dev/sdb /mnt/tmp
$ cp /mnt/bnx2.ko /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/kernel/drivers/net/
$ umount /mnt/tmp
$ insmod /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/kernel/drivers/net/bnx2.ko

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/