[K12OSN] HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 23:56:52 UTC 2007

My mother has an HP Pavilion dv6105us and it's got a
Broadcom 4311 (I'm
pretty sure that's the number).  I installed Ubuntu
6.10 on that
machine.  Anyway, there's a package called
bcm43xx-fwcutter.  You can
try that out, but it didn't work for me.  It installed
properly, but my
internet access was extremely slow.

I ended up using ndiswrapper, which worked well.  I
ran into a bug,
though, in the way that NetworkManager interacts with
the ndiswrapper
driver.  For whatever reason, NetworkManager loses all
its wireless
network settings every time you log out (but only if
you're using
ndiswrapper, apparently).  I'm currently looking for a
good wireless
switching tool that works with ndiswrapper *and* WPA
encryption.

By the way, when I installed Linux on my sister's
laptop a few years
ago (which also had a Broadcom wireless card), I found
it easier to just
buy a new internal wireless card that would work w/
Linux.  It was a
mini-pci interface.  My mother's Pavilion, on the
other hand, doesn't
seem to use a mini-pci interface (unless I'm looking
at the wrong
thing).  Does anybody know what type of interface this
card uses?  The
mini-pci wireless network cards are only about $20,
and I'd gladly spend
that amount to fix the problems w/ my mom's laptop.

-Rob

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:17:20AM -0600, Peter
Hawxhurst wrote:
> Hi,
> i have installed both the i386 and amd64 versions of
edu on my hp pavilion
> dv2000 but it fails to identify the broadcom
wireless card??