Re: [K12OSN] HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000?

To answer my own question, the type of wireless card
in my mother's HP Pavilion dv6105us is one or all of
the
following (I'm not 100% sure if they all refer to the
same thing):
Mini PCI Express
Mini PCIe
Mini Card

>From what I can tell, this is slated to replace Mini
PCI

-Rob

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:56:52PM -0800, Rob Owens
wrote:
> My mother has an HP Pavilion dv6105us and it's got a
> Broadcom 4311 (I'm
> pretty sure that's the number).  I installed Ubuntu
> 6.10 on that
> machine.  Anyway, there's a package called
> bcm43xx-fwcutter.  You can
> try that out, but it didn't work for me.  It
installed
> properly, but my
> internet access was extremely slow.
>
> I ended up using ndiswrapper, which worked well.  I
> ran into a bug,
> though, in the way that NetworkManager interacts
with
> the ndiswrapper
> driver.  For whatever reason, NetworkManager loses
all
> its wireless
> network settings every time you log out (but only if
> you're using
> ndiswrapper, apparently).  I'm currently looking for
> good wireless
> switching tool that works with ndiswrapper *and* WPA
> encryption.
>
> By the way, when I installed Linux on my sister's
> laptop a few years
> ago (which also had a Broadcom wireless card), I
found
> it easier to just
> buy a new internal wireless card that would work w/
> Linux.  It was a
> mini-pci interface.  My mother's Pavilion, on the
> other hand, doesn't
> seem to use a mini-pci interface (unless I'm looking
> at the wrong
> thing).  Does anybody know what type of interface
this
> card uses?  The
> mini-pci wireless network cards are only about $20,
> and I'd gladly spend
> that amount to fix the problems w/ my mom's laptop.
>
> -Rob
>
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:17:20AM -0600, Peter
> Hawxhurst wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i have installed both the i386 and amd64 versions
of