Re: [K12OSN] Re: HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000? (Peter Hawx

David,

Do you find the connection speed to be satisfactory
using fwcutter?  It was extremely slow on my mother's
laptop with
Ubuntu 6.10 and a bcm4311 chipset.  Did you do
anything special, or just a standard install?

-Rob

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 02:50:10PM -0500, David Trask
wrote:
> I have gotten it working well on my HP ZV5000
(Pavilion) which has a
> Broadcom card.  Prior to Dapper I used to use
ndiswrapper, but now use
> fwcutter.  Both should work and how-to's are all in
the Ubuntu wiki and
> forums.  Any search for Broadcom should get you
there.  I've had the
> internal wireless card working on my HP laptop since
Hoary (never tried
> with Warty as I used a Belkin PCMCIA card).....it
can be done and works
> fine.
>
> "Support list for open source software in schools."
<k12osn redhat com>
> writes:
> >I rather badly misread the original question;
sorry. I read it too
> >fast and responded too quickly, missing the point
entirely (as I see
> >now).
> >
> >The stuff I said is still worth knowing about and
I'm gld it's been
> >posted to this list, but it really has nothing to
do with getting
> >a broadcom WIRELESS card working.
> >
> >I've never even worked with a broadcom wireless
card, so I can't give
> >any advice about that. :\
> >
> >Good luck, though.
> >
> >--matt

<phawxhurst hotmail com>
TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000?
versions of edu on my hp
> >pavilion
wireless card??

> >> Yes. The broadcom driver isn't included on the
installation disk. You
> >> can copy it in from any other Ubuntu system and
load it during
> >> install, or you should have it once you reboot.
> >>
> >> If you don't have it even after you reboot, I
would recommend copying
> >> it in, insmodding it, and then installing
linux-image-generic right
> >> away, which is what you should do
anyway...details below.

> >> *****************************************
> >> NOTE TO EVERY EDUBUNTU ADMIN: Immediately after
you install Edubuntu
> >> and reboot, install the 'linux-image-generic'
package, make sure it
> >> will boot by default (edit /boot/grub/menu.lst),
and then reboot
> >> again.  linux-image-generic will give you SMP
support. You will not
> >> have SMP support until you install another kernel
than the default,
> >> and linux-image-generic is the recommended
kernel.
> >> *****************************************
> >>
> >> Details: copy
/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/kernel/drivers/net/bnx2.ko
> >> off of another Ubuntu system (install
linux-image-2.6.17-10-386 if
> >> necessary to get it) onto a thumb drive, then
stick that thumb drive
> >> into your Edubuntu server. If you're currently
installing, ALT+F1
> >> (maybe ALT+F2) will give you a terminal, where
you can do something
> >> like this:
> >>
> >> $ cat /proc/partitions
> >>   "Hmm... /dev/sdb looks like my USB stick. I'll
use that."
> >>   ...this could be /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,
/dev/sdb1, etc.