[K12OSN] Re: HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000? (Peter Hawx

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 13:50:48 UTC 2007

David,

Do you find the connection speed to be satisfactory
using fwcutter?  It was extremely slow on my mother's
laptop with
Ubuntu 6.10 and a bcm4311 chipset.  Did you do
anything special, or just a standard install?

-Rob

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 02:50:10PM -0500, David Trask
wrote:
> I have gotten it working well on my HP ZV5000
(Pavilion) which has a
> Broadcom card.  Prior to Dapper I used to use
ndiswrapper, but now use
> fwcutter.  Both should work and how-to's are all in
the Ubuntu wiki and
> forums.  Any search for Broadcom should get you
there.  I've had the
> internal wireless card working on my HP laptop since
Hoary (never tried
> with Warty as I used a Belkin PCMCIA card).....it
can be done and works

<k12osn at redhat.com>
> writes:
> >I rather badly misread the original question;
sorry. I read it too
> >fast and responded too quickly, missing the point
entirely (as I see
> >now).
> >
> >The stuff I said is still worth knowing about and
I'm gld it's been
> >posted to this list, but it really has nothing to
do with getting
> >a broadcom WIRELESS card working.
> >
> >I've never even worked with a broadcom wireless
card, so I can't give

<phawxhurst at hotmail.com>
TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000?
versions of edu on my hp
> >pavilion
wireless card??

> >> Yes. The broadcom driver isn't included on the
installation disk. You
> >> can copy it in from any other Ubuntu system and
load it during
> >> install, or you should have it once you reboot.
> >>
> >> If you don't have it even after you reboot, I
would recommend copying
> >> it in, insmodding it, and then installing
linux-image-generic right
> >> away, which is what you should do
anyway...details below.

> >> *****************************************
> >> NOTE TO EVERY EDUBUNTU ADMIN: Immediately after
you install Edubuntu
> >> and reboot, install the 'linux-image-generic'
package, make sure it
> >> will boot by default (edit /boot/grub/menu.lst),
and then reboot
> >> again.  linux-image-generic will give you SMP
support. You will not
> >> have SMP support until you install another kernel
than the default,
> >> and linux-image-generic is the recommended
kernel.
> >> *****************************************
> >>
> >> Details: copy
/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/kernel/drivers/net/bnx2.ko
> >> off of another Ubuntu system (install
linux-image-2.6.17-10-386 if
> >> necessary to get it) onto a thumb drive, then
stick that thumb drive
> >> into your Edubuntu server. If you're currently
installing, ALT+F1
> >> (maybe ALT+F2) will give you a terminal, where
you can do something
> >> like this:
> >>
> >> $ cat /proc/partitions
> >>   "Hmm... /dev/sdb looks like my USB stick. I'll
use that."
> >>   ...this could be /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,
/dev/sdb1, etc.