Re: [K12OSN] setting group write permission on OO documents (OT)

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:

Hi All :-)

We are using a terminal server setup in our lab that let users with different names (which are part of a Students Group) save documents on a shared folder. (all terminals autologin with user names pc1..pc25)

How can we save OO documents with Group permission set to Write so a Documents could be saved by anyone and edited by anyone ?

Kindly,
Nadav Smile

If your students are saving their files to e.g. /sharedStuff
and /sharedStuff is grouped to Students
and the permissions on /sharedStuff include the sgid bit (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setgid) then /the files that get created there will belong to Student group/, and folks in Student group will be able to do .... whatever the permission bits for the file permit.

mkdir /sharedStuff
chgrp Students /sharedStuff
chmod 2770 /sharedStuff

That allows the owner (presumably root) and folks in Students group to create & view files in /sharedStuff. The permissions on the files actually control access, but I think umask defaults to 002, so I think the default will be that anyone in the Students group will probably be able to read/write those files.

best,
-tim