[K12OSN] Crazy Spam in my yum update

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Feb 12 04:19:02 UTC 2007

Carl Keil wrote:

>>     Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting this when I run 'yum
>>     update'? Both my k12ltsp boxes are doing it. And what can/should I
>>     do about it? Yum is wonderful, mysterious and terrifying to me.
>>     What follows is approximately one quarter (hopefully
>>     representative) of the output I get when I run 'yum update' from
>>     the command line.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Looks like /var/cache/yum/macromedia/repomd.xml got corrupted somehow.
>> Have you tried running 'yum clean all' and trying again?
>>
>> Nils Breunese.
>>

> Yes, I should have mentioned that I did a 'yum clean all' before the
> 'yum update'.  I still got the same thing afterwards.  The file
> /var/cache/yum/macromedia/repomd.xml is full of weird spammy nonsense.
> Is it safe to just delete that file?
>
> ck

Yes, you can remove everything under /var/cache/yum/macromedia  (that is
what "yum clean all" should have done)

If you are running through a proxy, perhaps your proxy has a corrupted
copy. You can tell up-stream proxies not to cache the meta-data by
adding this line to the [main] section of /etc/yum.conf

	http_caching packages

-Eric