Re: [K12OSN] RAID let me down...

Shawn,

Which hardware raid were you using?

I've been using 3Ware SATA raid, and it's been working great. I managed to pick a lousy batch of harddrives, and I've lost a few of them, and each time, I just pop out the old drive, plug in the new one, and it never misses a beat.

Software raid will never give you that nice hot-swap capability.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

Shawn Powers wrote:
I had one of my hard drives fail in a hardware RAID5 array this morning. Along with the drive failure, I have thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of file corruptions, missing inodes, etc, etc. I've been fscking all morning. So much for fault tolerance.

My question to the list, is should I switch to a software based array? I use software RAID5 at home, and apart from figuring out *which* drive is "drive 4", I've been able to replace a bad drive without any real headaches.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Apart from quitting my job and applying at McDonalds...

-Shawn
--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director