Re: [K12OSN] RAID let me down...

Shawn Powers wrote:
On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
It has been a while since I've mentioned backuppc as a good thing here...

I have backuppc, AND several backups (MAN that program was worth the hassle to figure out!)

I ended up doing a bare-metal restore on a separate computer, with another raid controller (a bit nicer, with fancy lights on the front telling when the drives fail), AND I sacrificed some space for a hot spare. :) Still doing RAID 5 because I couldn't afford that much drive space (literally, at $700 a drive!!!)

Still restoring as we speak...

If you are literally dumping the whole system backup onto a machine with a different controller it can be tricky to make it boot. Don't panic - you can boot your install CD in rescue mode and fix it but it may involve building a new initrd image with the right driver. If the new controller works with the old driver, all you need is to get grub installed on the new system.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com