Re: [K12OSN] Using K12LTSP on existing school network

Bob Hill wrote:

Please explain to me how this would "bring down our school network" as I have sometimes been told.

With the 2 NIC configuration, the danger is that you might plug the wrong interface into the main network which would give out DHCP addresses that don't work to the machines there. The way to avoid it is to connect only the client side when you first install a server and make sure you can boot a thin client. This will tell you that your DHCP-serving side is correct before you plug the other interface into the main network. If you only have one cable plugged in you can also use mii-tool to see which one has link up, and ifconfig to see which IP address it has so you know which is which. The 2 NIC configuration will not require more bandwidth on the main net than the same number of client would if plugged in directly so as long as you are aware of the DHCP issue and how to avoid it you should not have any problems.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com