Re: [K12OSN] ldap will not start on server

I am a little late in responding, but the reason I can't do this remotely is that it is sitting behind at least 2 firewalls and a bunch of policies that severely restrict remote access by anyone that is not directly employed by the state's IT department.

On 2/16/07, David Trask <dtrask vcsvikings org> wrote:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
writes:
>I do have backups running nightly for the database, but trying to walk
>the tech coord through the steps via the phone when he is being pressured
>by teachers/etc is not a fun thing.  I wouldn't have an issue with
>resetting the database from the backups, but not something I want to try
>remotely just yet.

Why?  Doing it remotely is exactly the same as doing it
locally....especially if you're using a terminal or PuTTY and doing it
with CLI.  I usually skip the phone call and just ask for root access so I
can do it myself.  (Then I ask them to change the root password back to
something else when done)  Seriously though....don't be afraid to reset
the ldap database remotely....it's not big deal.  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcsvikings org