[K12OSN] moving a file to a setgid directory not changing file's group

I have a shared directory, /home/classroom, which is setgid. In this case I have clients that autologin, so documents created on ws001 one day need to be editable on ws002 on another day. If the kids save the file directly in /home/common, the group for the file is set to the same group as that of /home/classroom, in this case, the group name is classroom. However, if a student saves the file in the homedir first and then, via nautilus, drags the file to the /home/classroom folder, the group permissions are not changed to classroom but remain that of the autologin of the given workstation. This means the file can only be edited at the same workstation as where it was created, not what I want.

I've been doing shared directories on Unix for 10+ years, and I never noticed this, that the setgid of a directory is ignored if a file is moved to that directory. Copying or creating directly the file works just fine, it's just the moving that's a problem. Or am I just missing something or do I not have the permissions set correctly?

Petre