Re: [K12OSN] Booting older thin clients

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:04:18 -0500
Michael Blinn <mblinn peopleplaces org> wrote:

> Hi - I would like to use a boatload of older pentium machines as
> k12ltsp  thin clients. Most are Pentium-MMX computers, though a few
> might be  PIIs. I don't think their BIOSs have a 'Boot from network'
> setting; nor,  at this point, do they have netboot-capable NICs in
> them. What steps  should I follow to set these up as clients? I'd like
> to batch-order NICs  and BIOSs (if necessary) so I'm dealing with all
> similar hardware. Any  suggestions? I'd love to not use floppies and
> just have them turn on and  go. I'm fairly new to this so please bear
> with me.. so far with this new  server I've only booted an AMD K2 w/ a
> 3c905tx using a floppy created  from rom-o-matic.
>
> Thanks,
>   Michael Blinn
>
> --

I actually have all my clients boot from the hard drive.  (I know all
about the discussion on this list about HD in a system, but anyway)

The easiest way I have found to do this is with the Wizzy Tom's Root
Boot Disk.  But have also done it by installing grub, then using an
image from the etherboot web site for my specific NIC.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org

 Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem
 your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad
 company.        - George Washington, Rules of Civility