[K12OSN] Discussion on sound (not meant as a rant)

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 11:02:11 UTC 2007

I ended up recompiling from source with just the esd sound drivers as
suggested.  That seems to have solved the sound issue.  I also had to
correct the k12ltsp sound hack for flash (seems to be a mistake in the
variable name in the cron job, which was listed in another thread).

I still can't get gmplayer to work (mplayer with the gui), nor is
mplayerplug-in working correctly.  However, neither of these are essential
for the demo since Ryan just wanted to show that the Unitedstreaming content
can be played back as a movie once the actual clips were downloaded to the
local server.   To do this, I simply put an application launcher icon on the
teachers desktop.  Dragging and dropping a video file onto the icon launches
mplayer (not gmplayer) without the gui and the video works fine.  mplayer
can be completely controlled through keyboard shortcuts if needed but since
all that the teachers wanted was to play complete clips, this is ok for
now.  I also created a directory for saving the files so that the teachers
can share the clips and avoid duplicate downloads.

As for documentation, I will definitely document what works once I get the
gui and plugin working properly.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins