[K12OSN] Non - English language support?

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Feb 22 18:23:50 UTC 2007

Joseph Bishay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How are you doing? I hope all is well.
>
> I've been asked to configure a machine (standalone installation of
> k12ltsp) to be able to read and write in arabic.  Now, when I google
> information on this, the pages that explain it are in arabic, which I
> cannot read!
I don't know about Arabic specifically, but on our server I've installed
hebrew support, and student's UI's are in hebrew. Many of the KDE apps
are translated, there's a pretty good set of hebrew fonts, and the bidi
(right to left) implementations, which used to drive us crazy, are now
pretty mature. The only non standard addition I did was to replace
Fedora's OpenOffice with the hebrew version built in Israel. The
original Fedora build *does have* a good hebrew interface, but a few
bugs were fixed by the Israeli team recently.
As to your question, to the best of my knowledge Arabic support in Linux
is at least as good as Hebrew, so a FC6 machine (or k12ltsp 6) should be
a very workable desktop replacement. Foreign language support need not
be a cause for hesitation in adopting OSS, not even our RTL languages.
It would help, of course if you had an Arabic speaker "on hand", so that
when you switch the interface language, you can see if it's working right!

Regards,
Micha