[K12OSN] SCSI or SATA drives in my LTSP server?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 27 13:22:11 UTC 2007

If the budget permits, SCSI has a longer anticipated lifetime from the
manufacturers than does SATA.

But yet, SATA drives are so much less expensive that several can be
replaced within the lifetime of a single SCSI on a $/byte argument.

What it ultimately boils down to is how they are in use. If it is very
easy to replace a drive that has been in use with a new one after a
failure, then SATA would be a good idea. If, however, the system
recovery time is a factor, then stick with SCSI.

Also note: SCSI is still MUCH faster than even SATA II (or is it III
now?). The speed rates published most often for SATA are burst rates.
The rates published for SCSI are sustained throughput.