Re: [K12OSN] OT-Multiple Knoppix and hostnames

Since the machines have a CD drive, why not create an etherboot CD to boot the machines as LTSP clients? Another option would be to buy NICs that have an etherboot chip to use in those machines. Disklessworkstations.com has them for $20 a piece. Then you don't have to worry about the dust and the CD drive.

Why do the clients need to be on their own network segment? You can use the K12LTSP server to provide DHCP-supplied addresses to all computers; the non-thin clients will just ignore the extra info given out. Separating the clients onto a separate network is not mandatory.

Petre

ssh tranquility net wrote:
Hi All,

My workplace has a dozen Win98 machines they need to replace. I have
been trying to promote K12LTSP to them. The client needs are very
minimial. One problem they would have is getting the clients isolated on
their own network. It may be possible to Vlan them off for that. The
clients are so physically scattered that re-wiring is not a trivial
task. Floppy boot is also problematic because it is a dusty environment.

Barring that, I considered booting the clients to Knoppix. I can
remaster Knoppix and remove much (most) of what is unneeded. A problem I
wonder about is having a lot of computers on the network all with
"Knoppix" as the hostname.
There's a couple of ways around this. Since the machines have storage,
it wouldn't be too hard to save a persistent home directory to a FAT32
partition, and have them booted with the cheatcodes to read the info
from there. K12LTSP does this by having everything named in /etc/hosts
file. What would be a good way?
thx
Scott S.