[K12OSN] Email Server Major Slowdown

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 22:17:41 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
<mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us> wrote:
> Today our email server had two major slowdowns and several more less major
> slowdowns.  It is built from the K12LTSP CD's plus some supplementary
> programs.  We use postfix, UWimap, squirrelmail, MailScanner,
> spamassassin, and f-prot antivirus on FC5.  Iptables is the firewall.
>
> When the major slowdowns occurred, the hard drive as indicated by HD
> activity light was very busy.  Is there a utility that I can use to track
> down what task(s) were causing the HD activity?

I'm not sure. But you could run "top", and see which programs are
using the most CPU, then switch it (I believe you press "M" while it's
running) to see which programs are using the most RAM (on the
assumption that the offender is swapping out a lot).

If I had to guess, I'd suspect spamassassin (I've seen it gobble lots
of RAM over time).

Calvin