[K12OSN] general acceptance of k12ltsp in schools

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Fri Jan 12 04:57:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 18:04 -0800, Vince Callaway wrote:
> The biggest issue seems to be with the support staff.  They see the loss
> of windows as a loss of job security.  In the evolve or die equation
> they seem to choose the latter.

In big school boards, the number one reason why Linux isn't adopted is
because the IT people are scared shitless.  For some stupid reason they
think they will lose their jobs, so they do anything possible to keep
Windows around.

I find this sad and amusing at the same time.  The _IT_ people are
afraid of _IT_.   The _IT_ people are afraid to learn about new _IT_.
In every private sector IT job I've had, I've been expected to learn
about new technologies all the time - it's _part_ of the job!  The other
thing strange is that if school IT people actually got some Linux
training, they would see their usefulness shoot through the roof, along
with their salaries.

I don't bother with big boards anymore - waste of my time.  I'd like the
business, but the politics and fear keep the people in charge from doing
anything that will benefit the students - and Linux will certainly
benefit the students.

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux