[K12OSN] Web based Student Information Systems?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Jan 16 04:44:09 UTC 2007

Vince Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 20:03 -0700, rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
>
>> 2.) Does the new system use AJAX to prevent complete screen updates?
>> Huh, what's AJAX...
>>

> Ajax has its uses.  And it is not a microsoft thing.  It also has

Actually, AJAX should be considered a Microsoft thing.  At the core of
AJAX is a function called 'XMLHttpRequest', which started life as
'XMLHTTP', which was written by....  Microsoft.  (Even Microsoft can
have a few good ideas)

Take a look at the history of AJAX on the wikipedia article:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX

> detractors as well.  Not sure I would bet the farm that it will become
> widely used in the long term.

"widely used" ???  Google, Yahoo and a whole bunch of other large
companies are doing massive development around AJAX.  I'd say it's
widely used now, and will become even more so.

I dislike Microsoft just as much as anybody on this list, but I really
do like AJAX.  I'm doing some incredibly cool cross-platform GUI
programming using AJAX and it would have been far more difficult (damned
near impossible) without AJAX.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org