[K12OSN] Affordable Eprom source

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Jan 16 14:42:46 UTC 2007

The $45 card is an Intel card, while the $20 is made by AOpen, so part of the price
difference is the name.  But there may be more.  The AOpen uses a Realtek chip, some
derivative of the 8139, I'm pretty sure, while the Intel probably uses something made by
Intel.  Realtek chips show up on most of the cheap cards, and even some of the more
expensive ones; I've noticed the latest Linksys wireless cards use Realtek chips inside.
  In my experience, Realtek chips have always worked well with LTSP, and I use them
frequently in clients.  I'm even using some gigabit cards in servers that use a chip
made by Realtek (different model, I forget the number), although I haven't benchmarked
their throughput.  And I think Realtek is considered one of the better companies about
working with Linux ethernet driver developers, in that they don't hide stuff in
proprietary, binary drivers with no published specs, like other companies tend to do,
e.g., Marvel.  However, I have also read, although I don't know if this is accurate or
not, that part of the reason that Realtek chips, and the cards they appear on, are so
inexpensive is that they push more of the processing of the networking back onto the
system's CPU.  In other words, I have seen them derisively referred to as the 'winmodem'
of network cards.  Again, I don't know if this is accurate, or just snobbery or posing
by sophomores who don't actually know what they're talking about.  In the client, it
probably doesn't matter, and the cheap cards are just fine.  But in the server,
depending on the number of clients being supported, the apps involved, and the available
resources of the CPU--is it a dual CPU, dual-core, single-core, how fast, etc.--it MAY
make sense to spend $40 more for a 3Com or Intel GB NIC.  Or it may not matter, the
criticisms of Realtek chips may be just propaganda from friends of Intel & 3Com, and
that extra $40 may be wasted.  I'm not certain.  I'd be curious as to anyone else's opinion.

Petre