[K12OSN] Affordable Eprom source

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:05:57 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:

> e.g., Marvel.  However, I have also read, although I don't know if this is accurate or
> not, that part of the reason that Realtek chips, and the cards they appear on, are so
> inexpensive is that they push more of the processing of the networking back onto the
> system's CPU.  In other words, I have seen them derisively referred to as the 'winmodem'

The design has word-alignment issues, requiring extra work on the part
of the CPU to transmit/receive data.  Donald Becker (originator of
many Linux NIC drivers) referred to it as "a stunningly bad design
choice".

I think they're suitable for diskless workstations, but I wouldn't use
them in a server.

> criticisms of Realtek chips may be just propaganda from friends of Intel & 3Com, and
> that extra $40 may be wasted.  I'm not certain.  I'd be curious as to anyone else's opinion.

I prefer Intel NICs, FWIW.  That's not some generic Intel prejudice on
my part - all my home systems (and most which I assemble for others)
use Athlon 64s. The Linux server companies I'm familiar with (Penguin,
ABMX) also seem to concur on Intel NICs.

Calvin