[K12OSN] K12osn - OT 4-way Opteron or 2-way 4 core Xeon server?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 19:48:52 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> I think you'd get more 'oomph' from the 4-way Opteron box than you would with a 2-way
> dual-core Xeon box.  Opterons have generally had better performance than Xeons, which is

Amen - especially due to NUMA and AMD's Hypertransport.

In the benchmarks I've seen, it seems Intel CPUs beat AMDs on
closed-source benchmarks (which may be using code optimized for
Intel), while the opposite appears to be true with open-source
benchmarks (not playing CPU favorites).

So I'd suggest buying the Opteron systems, and maybe spending part of
the difference on more RAM (unless if the server is already maxed
out).

Calvin