[K12OSN] Access to SMB share mounted on Desktop

Steve Krause krauses at deerpark.wednet.edu
Wed Jan 24 17:05:24 UTC 2007

I have an smb share mounted automatically on users Desktop.  This should
give thin client users access to the homedir on a W2K server.

I can access the share by navigating through Computer, Network, Server,
then Share.  I can then see the subdirectories and files under the
share.  If I open the folder on the Desktop, It tells me it is empty.

I am using pam_mount to mount the share.  I have used smb, smbfs, and
cifs as the types of share.  The all result in the issue stated above.
Here how the share is mounted in pam_mount:

volume * smbfs server share /home/domain/&/Desktop/Student
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=750,workgroup=domain - -
As I said, I have used smb, smbfs, and cifs in that mount statement.
The domain in the mount point portion is the short name of the domain.
I have used both the short and FQDN version of the domain in the
workgroup part of the statement.

As part of the troubleshooting, I have used wbinfo and getent.  wbinfo
show all information about the ads domain.  getent shows only local
information.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Steve Krause, CNE
Network Manager
Deer Park School District #414
Deer Park, WA