[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Steven Santos steven at simplycircus.com
Wed Jan 24 23:47:58 UTC 2007

> 5) I might have a different opinion on this than Steven :)
>
> You can run gigabit ethernet over Category 5, 5e, 6, and 7 cabling up to
> a distance of 100 meters (or so).  So 100 feet will be no problem at
> all.  I would suggest running 2 cables between the MDF and your IDF for
> redundancy (you may want to read up on spanning tree protocol).
>
> Category 6 and 7 cabling will also support 10 gigabit Ethernet (amended
> in IEEE 802.3an).
>
> (If the building is being constructed now, you can have them lay conduit
> which is of sufficient size so that you can have more copper pulled down
> the road or even have some fiber blown.)

Not really, as I agree with this.  For me, its just a cost vs potential cost
thing.  40m (~150ft) of multi mode fiber will run you about $75, plus
another $75 to have it run along with the other cables that are slated to be
run.  So for a grant total of about $150 now, you have fiber that if you
were to have installed after construction would likely cost you at least a
grand to have wired.  Looking at the bigger picture, it seems much more cost
effective to possibly waste $150 now, than to possibly waste $850 later
(thats 850 + the $150 it costs you now).   You obviously have to calculate
the likelyhood of needing fiber in the next several years, but if the odds
are greater than about 1 in 6 that you will need the fiber link over the
next 10 years, its the more cost effective solution.