[K12OSN] server hardware advice

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Jan 29 14:32:54 UTC 2007

For 75 clients, I would recommend using two terminal servers.  Yes, it is physically
possible to get 8GB RAM into a box now, but you'll have to use 64-bit version of Linux
and not all applications work under 64-bit; you're just asking for trouble, which is NOT
the thing to do in the first deployment.  If money is available, the best way would be
to start with three servers: two terminal servers and one NFS server for /home.  This
way you can use the NFS server for users' home directories and have it handle
authentication (use the smbldap script from David and Matt), and also provide those
services for any Mac and Windows boxes.  You can assign 30-40 clients to each LTSP
server, and if it proves popular, you can quickly setup another similar server to handle
another 30-40 clients.  The kids can login on any terminal and their
environment/setup/files go with them.  For the LTSP servers, to handle 30-40 clients,
get dual CPUs, 4GB RAM; and normally, SCSI disks are required for this number of users,
but if user data is all on a separate NFS server (which should have SCSI disks in a
RAID), SCSI may not be necessary on the LTSP servers (anyone want to comment on this?).

Don't put too many eggs in one basket: Go for stability to begin with, not the maximum
clients you can squeeze onto one box.  Any time the system is down, people will remember
that more than how much money you saved.

Petre