[K12OSN] server hardware advice

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 03:02:54 UTC 2007

On 29/01/07, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> For 75 clients, I would recommend using two terminal servers.  Yes, it is physically
> possible to get 8GB RAM into a box now, but you'll have to use 64-bit version of Linux
> and not all applications work under 64-bit; you're just asking for trouble, which is NOT
> the thing to do in the first deployment.  If money is available, the best way would be
> to start with three servers: two terminal servers and one NFS server for /home.  This
> way you can use the NFS server for users' home directories and have it handle

I had not commented on CPU power as he is talking of server with two
dual core CPU's. A single dual core is able to server up to 40 clients
so it is possible that two dual cores would be able to just about
handle this.

If however money is available then three servers solution you proposed
is much better idea and also reduces chances of total failure. The NFS
server need not then be beefy in terms of CPU power. He can consider
having a DHCP load balancing set up on the same network.
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar