[K12OSN] server hardware advice

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 07:57:26 UTC 2007

On 30/01/07, Immanuel Derks <I.Derks at translucent.nl> wrote:

> I would also be concerned about network bottlencks when serving 75+
> clients from a single server. Although you can do channel bonding, thus
> theoretically it should be possible, but I have never had much luck with
> it bumping the performance...

I think most of us miss an important point about running LTSP is that
the files read writes processing etc are all happening on the pci bus
and not network. Only screen refresh information is travelling on
network. For "most" applications with 40+ people running sessions the
total network load is seldom more that 10mbps in most my locations.

For instance right now with 19 active connections iptraf report total
network rates as 4796 kbits/sec

Yes there are applications which still transfer large data to thin
client for screen rendering but as I said most of the robust
applications do not do this and in fact I find that in most of the
LTSP networks the network load is actually way lower than in fat
client network using central storage etc.

IMHO
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar