[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 01:31:11 UTC 2007

To eliminate the ground plane problem, couldn't you
just run a grounding cable from one building to the
other (in the
same conduit as your network wire).  This seems to me
like it would solve the problem, but I'm not 100% sure
-- and I
don't know if it is allowed by the electrical code
(but I don't see why it wouldn't be).

-Rob

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 11:47:57AM -0400, John Lucas
wrote:
> One other consideration when networking multiple
buildings: using fiberoptic
> cabling (instead of copper) between buildings would
reduce the chances of
> incurring grounding loops. Unless there is a single
ground plane for all
> wiring, when there is a short, it will take the
shortest path and that could
> be through your network equipment. The chances of
one building having a
> common ground plane are much greater than multiple
buildings sharing a common
> ground plane; don't import another building's
problems. I have learned this
> from sad experience, profit from my folly. It is way
expensive to do the
> backbone correctly the *second* time, instead of the
first.