Re: [K12OSN] new principal ... wants new feature

On 7/3/07, Kari Matthews <karisue gmail com> wrote:
Oh my.

My new principal says that at his last school, the IT guy had the server set
up so that you could login from anywhere (like home) and have access to his
documents (on the server).  He claims that the last school had some kind of
web interface.  Hmmm.

I currently have a Ubuntu 6 server and use smbldap for students -- students
save papers and such on the server.  The main advantage of having a server,
IMO, is DansGuardian.  None of the teachers do this -- they all save their
stuff locally.  We use Google Apps for mail.

Is there a way to set it up so people have access from outside the building
to their stuff?  I only use open source, so if it costs anything, forget it.
 This is a small school (80 students) with a small budget.  I am unsure how
to proceed.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Could the principal be thinking of iFolder?

http://www.ifolder.com/index.php/Main_Page

It is open source, but I don't know how well it runs on a K12LTSP server.

--Tom