Re: [K12OSN] Workstation Profile

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 10:12 -0600, Mark Trimble wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if K12LTSP offers a "Workstation" profile; meaning users
> log in to the server and have a central location for storage and desktop
> settings, but run all applications locally?

Not by default as there are too many variables on the server end. But it
is easy enough to do with a bit of planning and some environment setup
with scripting.

By default, all users have their own home directory. Physically where
that space is is up to the design of the installation. It can be on the
same machine as the application server or another machine elsewhere.

Running apps locally is a different issue entirely. Currently in LTSP a
"local app" means a process (and all of its environment) runs on the
machine the user is touching and the display bits are fed back to the
server, integrated into the user screen and then turned back around to
the user for viewing.

A different method is to use all local processes. This requires a solid
network as every application is physically stored on the server and the
client downloads what they need when they need it.