[K12OSN] 5.0EL & Abiword

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri Jul 6 08:24:20 UTC 2007

Ronnie Miller wrote:

> Second, I've gone totally brain dead and am showing my lack of
> knowledge by asking the following:
>
> In Version 5&6, Abiword is an option in the "Add/Remove Software"
> menu option. It doesn't show up anywhere in the 5.0EL though. I
> made the mistake of showing it to a couple of teachers and they're
> definitely interested in it (OK, I am too...). I can't figure out
> how to get installed. I went to the Abiword website and downloaded
> the latest version, but it kept giving me an "incorrect Unicode
> error". Anybody  got some suggestions for a newbie.

AbiWord was removed with RHEL3 (so it's also not in CentOS 3 and
newer) if I remember correctly, because they wanted to cut down on
the number of text editors. I haven't found a third party repository
yet that has abiword for current RHEL/CentOS versions (and I don't
like installing software that's not managed by yum).

Nils Breunese.