[K12OSN] Need Help

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:26:56 UTC 2007

On 07/07/07, Don Gould <don at myfam.com> wrote:
> The school is located in Hollandale, MN located 7 miles east of I-35
> and 18 miles north of the Iowa border.
>
> I plan to dual boot all of my thin clients so to start there will be
> at least 24 possibly all 30.  If this works well I might add as many
> 5 more for a total of 35.  I'm hoping to boot Linux off of 3.5 disks
> on each machine.  All of the machines are different as they are all
> used computers.  The most advance process I will be running is the
> K12 version of Power Point.

Hi Don. Could do with in line or bottom posting.

I would advise against floppy boot. Not that it can not work only
floppy tend to wear out or the drives need care. Why not just add a
ROM module on the network cards and you are booting off the net. When
you old machines, how old? Lot of machines from about 1998/99 started
having PXE boot option in BIOS and in such case you do not even need
the ROM module. (See site www.rom-o-matic.org  and www.ltsp.org ) for
details on ROM modules.

I would say a server with 4GB memory and atleast one SCSI drive and
two network cards is your answer.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar