[K12OSN] Replacing a server

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:02:30 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 10:27, Mark Cockrell wrote:
> I want to replace my current K12LTSP 4.4.1 box with a new K12LTSP/ 5.0EL
> box, and I need a little advice.  My current box is our primary
> authentication server using Samba/LDAP thanks to Matt Oquist's wonderful
> script.  What's the best way to migrate that data to the new server?  I
> had planned to just install 5.0EL on the new machine, run the smb-ldap
> script and then do a slapadd of my most recent backup, but it seems that
> Matt's script isn't yet ready to handle CentOS 5 or it's K12LTSP
> derivative.   I'm at a loss as to what I should do.  What do any of you
> recommend?

As a test (on a temporary virtual machine), I tried using the smbldap
installer scripts with CentOS5 and I was able to get it to work. I wish I had
taken notes, but as I recall I added/activated the "rpmforge" repository and
installed the dependant packages *before* I ran the script, choosing CentOS
4.4 as the installation target. The idea was to minimize the number of
packages that smbldap-installer had to fetch by installing the versions that
were correct for CentOS, leaving only the configuration steps for the scripts
to perform. At any rate I was able to get it working.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |