[K12OSN] T.S. Licensing

Kirk Rheinlander kirk at kpj2.com
Wed Jul 11 16:24:56 UTC 2007

The number of licenses is a matter of 2 attributes; 1) what defines a
user, and 2) how is this user count measured? I would make the
argument that, in order to provide measurable proof of # of users,
one would need to use the official Microsoft license management
output. If that tool, provided by the governing authority for
managing licenses of their own product, reports each service as one
license used, then the governing authority has spoken. As an
administrator, I have no obligation beyond reporting to Microsoft the
information provided by their official license management application.

Logically, one would think that an end user would constitute a
license, and that would make sense, but not much in the EULA
agreements makes logical sense, and I would think that sticking by
the letter of the law, using the tools provided by the vendor, would
be the only legal safe way of measuring the user count, not using
logic, and definitely, not using ethics (They should get what they
give).

--Kirk