[K12OSN] need some K12LTSP 5.0EL advice

Jim Anderson gotthin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 04:30:05 UTC 2007

Are the current K12LTSP 5.0EL isos final (not beta)?

If so I would like to move from K12LTSP 5.0.0 to 5.0EL.  I have one server
with about 90 active user accounts.  I would like to set up my disks to a
RAID 1 configuration and do a fresh install.  I have a USB hard drive that I
can copy the home directories to.

What I need to know is how to copy the user account information to the USB
drive so that when I rebuild the server I can transfer the accounts
information back and not have to set up new accounts.

In setting up RAID 1 do I need to create a swap partition?  I had problems
with this in the original install of 5.0.0.  The server is a 2.8 GHz Pentium
D with 2 GB RAM.  I have 20 terminals and run GNOME.  Can I live without the
swap space?  I also plan install to install squid, dansguardian and pykota.

Is there a list of the major software included with 5.0EL?

Thank you,
Jim Anderson