[K12OSN] Re: SMBLDAP Installer

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Fri Jul 27 10:04:47 UTC 2007

I've not actually run the script on CentOS5 but I've used it's contents to setup several Samba /
LDAP slave servers in college.

Here's a copy of my notes from our WIKI, once you've manually install the extra packages etc you
could try running the installer script again but telling it that it's CentOS4.4.

The notes are for installing on a x86_64 machine so things like the rpmforge-release you might have
to install the correct package for x386 but it'll give you a guide / idea.

I do have to replace our main LDAP / Samba 3 server this summer so when I do I'll try and tweak the
script to work out the box.

  ProtectBase

You should make sure that you have ProtectBase installed. yum-protectbase is available in the CentOS
5 repositories:

    yum install yum-protectbase

Plugins are enabled in CentOS 5 by default.

Edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add the following line to the [base] and
[update] and [centosplus] section:

     protect=1

Leave the [centosplus] section disabled:

     enabled=0

Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add the following line to the other sections

     protect=0

Download the rpmforge-release package.

     wget http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/x86_64/RPMS.dag/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm

(You can find a complete list of rpmforge-release package packages at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rpmforge-release/ but it is recommended that you use one of the two
listed above).

Install DAG's GPG key

     rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

Verify the package you have downloaded

     rpm -K rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

Security warning: The rpmforge-release package imports GPG keys into your RPM database. As long as
you have verified the package and trust Dag then it should be safe.

Install the package

    rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

This will add a yum repository config file and import the appropriate GPG keys.

Test with this command:

    yum check-update

It should output these two lines:

The number above may differ, but there should be several packages shown as being excluded.

[edit]
Install Extra Packages

    yum install ntp
    yum install apcupsd

Install needed rpms for Samba3 / Openldap (found from Smbldap installer script)

    yum install perl-XML-SAX-Base perl-Unicode-String perl-IO-Socket-SSL perl-Crypt-SmbHash
perl-Convert-BER

Install actual servers & dependants

   yum install perl-URI perl-Convert-ASN1 perl-libwww-perl
   yum install perl-XML-NamespaceSupport perl-URI perl-Crypt-SSLeay
   yum install perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-LDAP
   yum install gcc glibc-headers
   yum install openldap-servers openldap-clients
   yum install samba-common samba
   yum install apcupsd
   yum install net-snmp

Install Webmin for easy configuration (example below is current version but visit www.webmin.com for