[K12OSN] DHCP and different LTSP distros

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Jun 22 15:41:47 UTC 2007

Yes, but it depends on how your network is set up.  Because of how DHCP
works, your DHCP server would need an interface on each of the LTSP
client segments.  For example, I used to netboot x86, PowerPC, and SPARC
clients, with each of these three types on its own Ethernet segment and
IP subnet.  I chose 192.168.0.0/24 for the x86 (the default that comes
with K12LTSP), 192.168.2.0/24 for the Power Macs, and 192.168.3.0/24 for
the UltraSPARCs  (192.168.1.x was the school LAN).  My DHCP server (also
my LTSP demo server, BTW) therefore had four NICs in it--one for
192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x, and 192.168.3.x.  I also made a
DHCP scope for each of these subnets.  Worked like a charm.

So, here's what you'd do.  Build your central DHCP server, using CentOS,
a Cisco router, or whatever--anything except Microsoft's DHCP server
(it's too much of a pain for netbooting).  You'll need one interface on
your DHCP server for each of those LTSP segments in your building, plus
your management interface hanging off the main school LAN.  Since you
have two K12LTSP servers, that's three interfaces.  Then, run a cable
from the appropriate Ethernet interface on your DHCP server to each of
the LTSP segments; if you have managed switches and trunked VLAN's, this
becomes quite easy.  You can just use VLANs to segment your LTSP client
segments from the main school LAN.

Just to state the obvious:  yes, this DHCP server would be wonderful for
the main LAN too.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus