[K12OSN] What's the deal with monitors?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Mar 3 22:49:55 UTC 2007

I ran into something similar with an OptiQuest monitor a few years ago
with K12LTSP.  Also affected FreeBSD, interestingly.  By accident, I
discovered that if I left it for about 4-5 minutes, I would eventually
get the K12LTSP login screen.  This was with an S3 Trio64 video
board--ordinarily one of my favorite thin client video boards.  And no,
it didn't affect all monitors that I had, just the OptiQuest.
Apparently certain--very few--combinations of monitor and video board
just don't get along too well with either K12LTSP or FreeBSD.  However,
with those combinations, Red Hat Linux in fat-client mode worked just
fine.  Go figure.

My fix--for that particular monitor--was to swap in an ATI 3D Rage Pro
video board.  The K12LTSP login screen came right up, as expected.  And
BTW, I'm now using that S3 Trio64 video board with a 19" SHARP LCD
screen, and things work perfectly.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus