[K12OSN] Pixelation with MPlayer

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Mar 5 03:41:18 UTC 2007

Try upgrading your video card.  The problem that you're discussing has
nothing to do with CPU, but rather is a video card speed issue.  I
replaced an ancient S3 Trio64 with a Matrox Millenium G400, and my
issues with slow video playback went away.  The thin client is a Pentium
II-300MHz.  My server is a dual Athlon MP 1.2GHz with 2GB DRAM.  Now,
unless you're trying to run a LTSP *server* on a Pentium II-300MHz  or
something else ridiculous like that, CPU ain't your problem, dude.

As for the network "problem" that you outline, that isn't your problem
either unless you're running 100Mbps on your server (you should be
running at least Gig-E on the LTSP server).  TuxType eats up a measured
73Mb/sec--way more than your number below--and it has no problems with
up to 14 simultaneous sessions.  If you do have Gig-E on the server,
then check your cables, your switches (you *are* using switches,
right?), and your NICs to make sure that they're actually working.  I
have no problems whatsoever w/ apps that use lots of network bandwidth.

Please stop the FUD and ask questions before you go spouting off
erroneous conclusions,

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus