[K12OSN] newbie: nfs /home and load balancing issues

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Mar 7 06:05:45 UTC 2007

It depends on your load.  If you've got a bunch of clients wanting to do
streaming video, then those PIII 1GHz chips might not be enough.  If, on
the other hand, you're just doing OpenOffice.org and Firefox, you should
be fine with simply adding more DRAM to your servers.  That'll let you
add more clients per server.  If you can make them 4GB, do so.  In the
past, I had a dual-Athlon 1.4GHz box with 4GB DRAM and EIDE disks
serving about 25 clients, and it was suh-weet.

Scrap clients are so easy to get cheaply.  Corporations are *dying* to
get rid of older PC's.  I personally favor the Dell OptiPlex GX1's,
since they are dirt-cheap (companies will very often give them away to
avoid disposal fees), support PXE-booting (some may need a flash
update--very easy to do), and all the hardware works great with Linux.
Highly recommended.  If you can't find any OptiPlex GX1's, then another
excellent choice is the HP Vectra VL400 series; it, too, supports
PXE-booting very nicely.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus