[K12OSN] OT: wardriving

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:15:15 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I've been amazed by the number of open wireless networks even in my
little town of about 10k.

A little while back, I wrote a paper for a graduate class I was taking
in network security.  I didn't get asked if I was Ghostbusting, but I
did get a number of strange looks with my setup.

You can find a copy of the paper at:
http://www.keokukhigh.net/~ericbrow/wardriving.pdf

I'm not sure what you mean by Windows being dangerous.  Netstumbler is
just a program that works at the application layer.  If you're meaning
that with your equipment it produced dangerous waves, I would think
it's more the extra equipment than the program.  While I'm no fan of
Windows, I'm just as disgusted with OS X at this time.  Our school's
wireless network is mostly open because those in charge can't get WEP
to work.  Furthermore, we're forced to use 10-base hubs because the
Macs flip out when hooked to a 100/1000 base switch (tested with
switches from multiple manufacturers).  I'd still use XP over OS X,
but I'd prefer FOSS over all.

As a country, we may end up with an accidential wireless mesh network yet.

Eric