[K12OSN] OT: Required use of IE by State DOE

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:58:02 UTC 2007

We have a related problem in Iowa.  Recently the school went
state-wide with a web-based IEP system for special-ed students.  I
know they made a good attempt at testing on multiple platforms with
multiple browsers, as my wife was asked to be in on the testing, and I
saw the list of browser/os combinations they were wanting testers for.
 However, our state department of ed is in bed with Apple instead of
Microsoft.  They used FileMaker for the database backend, which for
that kind of load, is incredibly inefficient.  It has been my
expirence that Apple admins tend to over estimate the efficiency and
power of their servers.  The IEP program was very clumsy when it was a
stand-alone program, opening up 12 windows just to start the program.
It looks all nice like an apple program, but looks only get you so
far.

Eric