[K12OSN] LTSP detailing required for Nepal

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Mar 15 17:53:21 UTC 2007

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>> 100mbps network will do the job. Have the 1000mbps connection between
>> server and switch it would be better. If you have two servers then you
>> may need gig connection here also.
>>

> I strongly agree with the Gigabit on the server.  You don't know if
> you're going to be running 14-15 simultaneous sessions of TuxType.
> Remember that TuxType sucks up 73Mb/sec per session.  Gigabit Ethernet
> on the server is important for this.  TuxMath is pretty similar.

I think it would be fun (and cheap and quiet) to build a classroom/lab
server out of a mac mini or equivalent small form factor box.  The 2 gig
  RAM limit would probably be the limiting factor for how many clients
you could handle (it does have a Gig ethernet port) especially if you
have a separate file server for the home directories.  Has anyone tried it?
If the next version has a core2 duo instead of the current core duo
processor it would be even better.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com